Central Kalimantan, Indonesia – Straits Resources Ltd
An established and dynamic mining company, Straits Resources Ltd is focused on stabilising production and reducing cost in this Indonesian project. They required an extensive review and relevant recommendations on cost and process issues raised by an external auditor’s report.
“I have known Derek for many years. I was tasked by Straits Resources to secure a highly experienced Commercial Manager for a contract role based on one of their sites in Indonesia. Derek proved to be highly competent and I received much praise of his cultural sensitivity, financial and business acumen as well as knowledge of the resources sector generally and specific to Indonesia. He impressed so much he was offered the role on a permanent basis. In all of my dealings I found Derek to be prompt and professional in his communications and followed up when he promised.” Ben Batten Consultant to Straits Resources, Singapore
Straits Resources Ltd employed the services of DVB Consulting to review its operations and provide solutions to ensure that the company’s efforts are directed towards achieving maximum results.
DVB Consulting reviewed, made and implemented recommendations to address particular issues on supply chain procedures, inventory operations and capital expenditure. Our action plan included:
- Reviewing the Capital Expenditure relating to the operational activity carried out. He had to identify with the senior site executive to ascertain the correct allocation of expenses to each activity and identify any possible additional projects that would be required
- Assisting in determining the correct process of recording raw material movement within site parameters
- Assisting in streamlining the existing policies to enable a better understanding by all departments
- Performing Adhoc checks to ensure systems are being complied with
- Reviewing Asset Register and assist in establishing “In-house” register
- Reviewing the Expense allocation relating to the overall expenditure across site and in turn address the cost control processes
- Producing monthly finance and management reports
- Assisting in identifying the shortfalls occurring within the Purchasing and Supply Departments relating to the handling and processing of documentation and ongoing supply of materials
- Reviewing and negotiating supply and logistics contract relevant to site operations
- Educating local national staff in regard to head office requirements for information in relation to their work